Travelling can be stressful. Travelling with kids can be even more stressful and requires a lot of planning and patience. Here are 5 key tips to follow when you’re travelling with kids to make the trip to your family vacation destination a breeze.
1. When travelling with young children, make sure to bring a new bag of toys for the car or plane. Never underestimate the power of new play things to keep your child entertained for hours. Pull the toys out one by one to keep your child busy and make sure to save some for the ride home.
2. Don’t forget the medication. It doesn’t matter how healthy everyone looks before the trip, you never know what can happen on the way or when you get there. When you’re going somewhere unfamiliar, you won’t know where to buy medication if a problem arises, which is very frustrating. Avoid this problem by bringing a small supply of medicine on every trip. Fill a baggie with cough medicine, fever reducer, Benadryl, Tylenol as well as sunscreen and calamine lotion. It’s better to be safe than sorry!
3. Pack less. Travelling with the whole family means a lot of bags, and if your child is young, guess who gets to carry them? Limit each family member to one small suitcase with wheels so everyone can pull their own weight. Pack according to outfits for each day, this will help you eliminate unnecessary items.
4. Give yourself some down time. Just because you’re on vacation and you want to experience every tourist attraction Disney World has to offer, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t allow yourself some down time. Without down time to relax, family members will get crabby and that’s never fun. Make sure to fit some down time into every day of your trip. Make sure everyone has time to shower, relax and maybe nap before dinner. After all, you don’t want to return for your vacation exhausted.
5. Involve the whole family when planning activities. This will ensure that everyone gets to express what they’d like to do and see while visiting your family vacation destination and no one throws a fit or leaves disappointed. It’s important to compromise and make everyone feel included, however, parents always get the last word.
Following these tips will make travelling with your family easy and you’ll all be able to have the best vacation possible.